Part of having a clean house is having it smelling nice. Food smells, pet stains, mould and poor air circulation can all leave unpleasant odors in that sanctuary you call home. So how can you make sure it smells nice at all times?
Well, there are a few tips we recommend here at Budget Maids. These include:
- Sprinkling a little of your favorite essential oil onto a light bulb or two (when they’re cool!). Once the light bulb is switched on the heat will allow the scent to flow around your room.
- Steam cleaning your carpets to get rid of the smell of pet hairs. You could also try sprinkling a little baby powder on the carpets then vacuuming.
- Neutralizers in the kitchen can take away most food odors and squirting a little fresh lemon juice or slices down the plug hole or garbage disposal can keep the sink smelling nice. Another good tip for the kitchen is to simmer a pot of water, cinnamon and cloves on the cooker.
- If poor air circulation is the problem then it’s possible to put scented inserts into your air vents. These will flow through the whole house giving a nicer scent to the air. Alternatively you could always dab cotton wool balls with vanilla and lay them inside the vents.
- Like the smell of coffee? Then place a bowl of coffee beans in a room. These will not only fill the room with a lovely coffee scent, they’ll also help neutralize smells by absorbing them.
- Use free perfume samples in magazines. Open, dab with water, and place on a windowsill for a couple of days.
Just one thing we’d warn about odors in your home – it’s actually difficult, after a period of time, to identify them because you become so accustomed to them. It’s often only when you have a visitor to your home that you can identify what’s wrong. So maybe ask a good friend what they think?
For more cleaning and household tips see Budget Maids who provide House Cleaning in Olney, a Cleaning Service in Rockville, Maid Service in Falls Church and other areas throughout VA.
image via Tim Sackton, Flickr