Carpets, whether wall-to-wall or area rugs, are an important part of your home. While they help insulate your floors and provide a soft surface to walk, lie or sit on, they also can be beautiful and a wonderful accent to your Columbia home. Since replacing them is expensive, there are a few things you can do that will help prolong the life or your carpets and also keep them looking great.
One of the main culprits that can sabotage your carpets is dirt. Most carpets have plastic or natural fibers that are worn down by dirt that gets into the carpet. You only have to look at a child’s outside plastic toy to see how dirt and sand affect plastic. New, shiny toys quickly become dull and scratched when pitted against dirt and sand. The same happens to your carpet when dirt and sand rub against the fibers. It not only damages the fibers, the surface also becomes dull and lackluster.
Obviously keeping dirt off your carpets completely is impossible, but there are a few things you can do to reduce the wear. Consider these tips to help reduce the amount of dirt and damage.
– Stop the dirt at the door. Having a “shoes off” policy in your home can make a big difference. Although runners and doormats do help remove some dirt, it takes about 27 steps for all the dirt to come off a shoe. Having a shoe area at the front and back door can stop the dirt from being tracked in all day long.
– Vacuum often. Besides keeping out the dirt, the next best thing you can do on a regular basis for your carpet is vacuum. Vacuuming once or twice a week, or more if needed, can reduce the amount of dirt and dust allowed to settle into your carpet.
– Sweep and mop too. Hard surfaces like wood floors and tile do not attract dirt like carpet. In fact, the dirt is more likely to stick to your feet and then drop off as soon as it hits the carpet. By keeping your hard floors clean, you are also keeping your carpets cleaner as well.
– Regular carpet cleanings. Although vacuuming will help remove much of the dirt and grime, carpets still need regular deep cleaning. Getting your carpets professionally cleaned once or twice a year can go a long way in helping prolong their life. Call us at Budget Maids when you need a deep carpet cleaning and we will be happy to get the job done!
– Carpet protector. After a professionally cleaning, have a good carpet protector applied. This can help protect the carpet fibers from abrasion and can also protect against stains from liquids as well.
Putting some preventive measures in place can save money on carpet replacement.
By keeping the carpets in your Columbia home as clean as possible, you can extend their life and beauty for many years.