The idea of Pancake Day came about as Shrove Tuesday is the day before Lent begins in the Christian calendar. Lent is the 40-day period before Easter Sunday and it is viewed as a season of reflection and preparation. Traditionally, religious observers fasted or abstained from certain foods during Lent – hence, Shrove Tuesday was the day to use up luxuries such as milk and eggs.
The following recipe will make eight pancakes, and we have suggested some fillings for them including the traditional lemon and sugar variation.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sieved
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2tbsp melted butter
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- Mix the flour together with the salt, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg with the milk and the melted butter in a jug until well combined.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour and whisk until combined (a few lumps do not matter). Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes.
- Wipe a griddle pan with the vegetable oil and heat. Drop in two-three tablespoons of the mix at the time and allow to cook until you can see bubbles on the top of the pancakes. Flip over and cook until brown on the underside. It will take one to two minutes to cook on each side.
Suggested toppings –
- Sprinkle each pancake with a tablespoon of sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Top pancakes with chocolate sauce and chopped bananas.
- Use blueberry compote and two tablespoons of heavy cream, whipped.
- And of course, the classic is grilled bacon and maple syrup!
Here at Budget Maids, we provide cleaning services in, a maid service in Arlington or cleaning services in Olney, house cleaning in Reston and cleaning services in Falls Church. Why not give us a call today and let us help you with healthy home maintenance?